Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 01:31:40 EEST

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 03:02:00PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Mostly true, although Macrovision makes some form of copy protection that
> can get embedded in the digital data stream which is supposed to survive
> becoming analog.

In other words, it screws up the audio. Nice. :-(

> I don't think it's the band that's doing this. It's the labels that have
> invested money in the band, and it's the big distribution companies.

Yes, but label execs don't generally give two shits about the fans as long
as sales are up. They *do* give a shit, out of necessity, about
accommodating their top bands. So I think a letter-writing campaign to the
bands in question is more likely to have an effect.

> > BTW, the above was just an example. I agree with Mark K. I don't
> > download any music that isn't free and legal.
>
> I think that most people that make music don't do too much of this. I

yep... I download maybe a handful of songs a year, usually things that I don't
even like enough to burn to CD; occasionally things that I'm curious about that
I would buy if I could find the damn things.

> download music legally, from mp3.com, or one of these days from iTunes for
> $0.99/tune. Most of this p2p is a simple market driven reaction to the fact
> that most CD's these days have only 1-2 tunes that make the money. Most of
> the rest of the CD is filler. (Well, in Madonna's recent CD I think it's all
> filler!) ;-)

This is very true. There's a bunch of great pop songs that come on crap
albums... "Genie in a Bottle" leaps to mind...

> No one I know wants to pay $8.00/'good song', and then get the
> other 10 songs for free? $0.99 for the songs a person like sounds like a
> good deal.

Yep. Pop music kind of wants to be a singles market, but the CD era killed
most of the economic incentive for selling singles because there's barely
any difference in the manufacturing / distribution cost of CDs regardless of
length - only quantity really matters.

BTW, it's now possible to set up cheap per-song paid downloads on your own
website without a lot of cost overhead and without a time-based
subscription service. Check these guys out, they've just launched and
I'm very curious to see if they succeed:

http://www.bitpass.com/learn/

not enough info posted about becoming an "earner", sadly.
But I found out about it this morning when I used it to pay $0.25 to read
an online comic. It was pretty quick to do.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's CARDIO-POSITRONICMEGAPOODLE ORIGINATOR! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)