Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's
From: Paul Perkins (speaker-to-vegetables_AT_pobox.com)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 02:16:49 EEST

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 01:52 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
> In my mind, using something I didn't pay for, or didn't pay the money to
> the real owner, just isn't right. Theft is one word for this if you
> actively seek out this property. Accepting stolen goods might be another
> term if someone just gives it to me.

Well, look at typical music industry practice in dealing with musicians. Most
of the time, the creative talent gets ripped off (not paid) by the record
company. Then by the above rule, buying a "legitimate record company" CD is
"accepting stolen goods". So there is no morally correct way to hear "music
industry product" recordings. Maybe everyone should go back to making their
own music, live, at least until the RIAA cartel withers away. Or at least
keeps the ownership of the recordings out of the hands of those crooks.

OK, OK, mostly off-topic, but not completely...