Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's
From: Joseph Zitt (jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 06:57:37 EEST

Brian Redfern wrote:

> Right, and basically except for Kid Rock, the only stuff being signed is
> teeny bopper crap, or Celine Dion rip offs, none of that music is even
> worth stealing, much less buying.

Can you truly say that you like *nothing* being signed and recorded
today? Sure, there's a lot of teen pop and plastic divas, but if you
think that's *all* that's out there, you've stopped paying attention.
You might wander into a record store and take a look around.

Over the past day, I've listened to, among other disks stacks on top of
my monitor, Terry Riley, Sigur Ros, Jaco Pastorius, Patti Smith, James
Blood Ulmer, John Zorn, and Kodo. All of these were purchased at major
chain record stores. Please let us know which you consider to be "teeny
bopper crap"; what remains would be what you consider "Celine Dion ripoffs".

What we may be seeing here is an instance of the fallacy of nostalgia:
sure, to reference Theodore Sturgeon, 90% of everything is crap, but 90%
of everything always *has* been crap. Most of the older stuff has just
been forgotten.