Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 12:12:19 EEST

> There
> was "electroclash", from my hometown of Brooklyn, which was touted
> as a new synthesis of dance music and punk but when I finally heard
> it was indistinguishable from early depeche mode / new order / etc.
> Then there's the neo-garage-punk thing - White Stripes, Hives etc.
> - it's OK I guess, but I swear I've heard it all before.

I think it's fine to rehash old musical styles, as long as you're
honest about the orgins. Passing it off as 'new' to people who aren't
familiar with the orginals is the fault of marketing and media types
rather than musicians, in my experience.

I've got a theory that all kinds of music are happening all the time,
but if you want to get a record deal you have to appeal to label
bosses of a certain age - hence the current 80's revival. The trends
are therefore dictated by whoever has the money to invest in creating
them.

Cheers

Daniel