Re: ripping / Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Subject: Re: ripping / Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's
From: Ryan Underwood (nemesis-lists_AT_icequake.net)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 17:36:36 EEST

Hi Larry,

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 03:37:33AM -0400, Larry Troxler wrote:
> On Thursday 03 July 2003 22:43, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> > Just my two cents, you can rip a CD in either analog or digital form.
> > Analog will incur some lossiness since the path is
> > CD-DA -> DAC -> ADC -> WAV
> > The ADC (analog to digital conversion) is a lossy operation.
> >
> > Ripping directly from the CD is preferable since there is no ADC
> > involved. But it is not necessary to get acceptable sound quality.
> >
> > Programs like cdparanoia and EAC operate as digital rippers, using the
> > cdrom's built in mechanisms to extract the audio data directly. There
> > are other programs however (such as cdsound-recorder) that will play the
> > disc through your CD drive's built in DAC, and record the sound through
> > your soundcards ADC input. Or, you can use a standalone CD player for
> > the same effect.
>
> Wow, I guess that either I have always been mistaken about this, or the meaing
> of the word has changed over the years. I always thought that "ripping" meant
> getting a byte for byte digital copy, converting the CD audio format to a
> soun file format. What you're describing, I always thought of as "taping".
>
> So when some in the Linux Audio world talks about, say, ripping samples from
> an audio sample CD into wavs, in order to load them into csound (just picking
> a likely application), do they mean they made an exact digital copy, or do
> they mean they made an analog copy? I always thought it would mean the
> former, but am I wrong? This is a quite important distinction, don't you
> think?

In general, I've taken "ripping" to mean a digital copy, but the meaning
has seemed to change with the copy protection issues lately. It would
probably be a good idea for people that use the term to make the
distinction between analog ripping and digital ripping when talking
about the subject or when describing a particular set of audio files.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253