Re: [linux-audio-user] Multiple (delta xx) cards

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Multiple (delta xx) cards
From: Peter Groves (pgroves_AT_uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 21:51:24 EEST

| Message: 1
| Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:20:15 -0700
| From: toby_AT_tobiah.org
| To: linux-audio-user_AT_music.columbia.edu
| Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Multiple (delta xx) cards
|

| > Ideally, I'd like to be able to buy a delta 44 now (for financial
| > reasons), and then buy another,
|
| You can't sync two 44's, they will drift as you record.
| Also, the 1010 does the analog to digital conversion in
| the breakout box, while (contrary to what some believe)
| the 44 does not.

I don't understand this whole 'drift' thing. If I'm able to listen to a
previously recorded drum track and record a guitar track over it (in
sync with the recording) with either card, how is it possible for them
to be out of sync with each other?

| As for the Drum kit, I know it is desireable to
| record many channels of drum separately, but would
| it do to simply use say a Mackie 1402-VLZPro mixer
| to funnel the drum mics into two or three channels?
| You would have to get the mix right the first time,
| I know, but the 1402 would give you six very nice
| channels of mic pre, which should ease the budget
| problem. You also get phantom power, which you must
| not forget that you need to power any decent condensor
| mic.

I'll consider this, but my original plan was to spend my money on
getting the best soundcard, preamps, and mics and doing as much as
possible in software. The idea was to get the highest quality crucial
hardware i could afford, and do any and all mixing, processing, etc, in
software (which is putting a lot of faith in linux ;) ). I know it's a
fine line, though.

| If you get in a pinch, you can pick up a pair of
| Marshall MXL2003's for a very reasonable price, and
| in my limited experience yield a natural bright sound
| that would be very tough to match for the same price.
| Anyway, go for the large diaphragm condensors.
|
| If it is to be a $20 mic, I recommend the radio shack
| 33-3017. I have a pair, and they don't compare well to
| the Marshall's, but they are also hard to match for the price.
|
| http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2544797054&category=41466

I was exaggerating about the $20. I'll end up with at least an sm57 or
sm58 (or comparable) for starters.