Re: [linux-audio-user] region coding sucks, but Linux rocks !

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] region coding sucks, but Linux rocks !
From: Joe Hartley (jh_AT_brainiac.com)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 21:29:55 EEST

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:55:10 -0400
Dave Phillips <dlphilp_AT_bright.net> wrote:
> Is there some way to change a hardware DVD player to accept another
> region coding...

Completely depends on the player - some allow you to change the region a
fixed number of times.

> How does it happen that my Linux players recognize these discs with
> no trouble ?

Magic :) (Translation - I have no idea!) But it's heartening to know
it worked. My guess is that Windows machines would be careful to honor
the region encoding because MS is so closely aligned with the MPAA with
regards to digital rights management. Dunno about Macs, but my guess is
that they'd honor the region encoding as well.

> The VHS tape is still a problem. Our player doesn't seem to like it,
> no picture appears but we can hear the audio moving along at something
> like twice normal speed. Can anyone tell me what's up with that and if
> there's some way to fix it ?

Your tape is likely in the PAL format, the European standard for TV
broadcasting. It has a different number of lines scanned per second
than the NTSC format used in the US. I think your only option here
is to find someone with a PAL VCR and get them to dub a copy onto an
NTSC VCR.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh_AT_brainiac.com