Re: [linux-audio-user] Direct In

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Direct In
From: John Bleichert (syborg_AT_stny.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 17:12:02 EEST

On Fri July 25 2003 5:54 am, Chris wrote:
> Hello.
<snip>
> My friend recently purchased an "all-in-one" unit from Roland, a 24
> track 24 bit digital recorder, that cost him about $2,500 I think
> (excluding cabling, mics etc). He says he goes direct -- and not only
> direct but totally clean. All effects, including distortion are added
> after the fact. He goes from his guitar into his recorder! This sure
> seems strange to me, although I can understand the logic there. Is this
> what you guys do?
>
> I would love to hear how you all handle this. :0)

Well, for a couple years I was able to do recording with my old Soundblaster
but that was very limiting, one channel in, not much luck with full-duplex
(recording while playing a previously recorded track). I bit the bullet and
bought an M-Audio Delta 44 (about $250 last year I believe) and a Behringer
project mixer.

Since I can't really even turn my guitar amp on in my apartment (Mesa/Boogie
has 2 volumes - off and *LOUD*) I do most of my project recording plugged
through an effects pedal, such as:

guitar --> fx pedal --> mixer --> Delta44 --> PC

I've also done a fair amount of live tracking (mic'd amps) with this same rig.
It sounds great. For the neophyte PC recorder I suggest Audacity
(audacity.sourceforge.net) as it has a very lightweight learning curve. I've
done a great deal of multi-track recording with it. There are quite a few
Linux apps for multitrack recording (notably Ardour) but Audacity was the
easiest one to get started with. A drum machine helps too. It allows me to
write songs, record the skeletons, mail them (on CD) to people I play with
who are 2 hours away, meet up with them and play, then do proper mix-down of
all the live tracked material afterwards. All with Slackware, ALSA and
Audacity.

Several of my friends have the all-in-one recording rigs (like the Roland you
mention above) but I like the PC solution - it's much more flexible. YMMV.

HTH - JB