Re: [linux-audio-user] how much ram?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] how much ram?
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 22:00:55 EEST

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 08:47:52PM +0200, Atte Andr? Jensen wrote:
> BTW: I also asked this in my local LUG and one of the posters was
> shocked, and said that he had never sat behind a machine with more than
> 256 MB RAM. Is the "don't go with less than 512MB, or you'll be sooo
> sorry"-speach only for windows users or is there some truth in it for us
> linux users also?

Your sample library will almost certainly increase over time. Which
would you rather do - have to worry about what samples were available,
or just load them all and get on with life? ::-)

You'll also get more benefits - even if you can fit your whole sample
library into 256M, you're loosing that much memory that would otherwise
be used for disk cache. As a result, your system performance will
suffer.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon. He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.