Re: [linux-audio-user] how much ram?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] how much ram?
From: Atte André Jensen (atte_AT_ballbreaker.dk)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 23:23:33 EEST

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:03:35 -0400
Jesse Chappell <jesse_AT_essej.net> wrote:

> Paul Winkler wrote on Fri, 25-Jul-2003:
> > true, but they'll probably overcharge for preinstalled RAM.
> > I just ordered another 256 MB of PC133 ECC sdram for about $40...
>
> Definitely, go with less preinstalled and buy the additional RAM
> module separately at a good price. Just make sure to get the correct
> variety.

Aha, and I thought it was suposed to be cheaper to buy what I need now.

> > as for disks - if you do much recording you should seriously
> > consider a second audio-only disk.
>
> Yes, some laptops can take a second harddrive in one of their
> expandable bays. The other alternative is to get an external
> firewire HD, (and a Cardbus firewire interface, if the laptop
> does not include it on-board). I have had good success using
> ardour with large track counts from a firewire HD.

Exactly my thoughts. Only were I thinking USB2.0, but I guess they're
not as fast as firewire...

Seems you guys made up my mind:

Screen resolution is hard (!) to buy later. RAM is easy, and recording
and keeping audio rocordings on an external HD would be handy anyways.
I'm gonna go for the 2.4, 256, 20, 1400x1050, assuming the next step
works out: running Knoppix on the sucker tomorrow in the store.

Thanks alot. I'll probably be back soon with more software questions...

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte