RE: [linux-audio-user] Direct In

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Direct In
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 00:50:36 EEST

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:12:02 -0400 John Bleichert
> <syborg_AT_stny.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > It sounds great. For the neophyte PC recorder I suggest Audacity
> > (audacity.sourceforge.net) as it has a very lightweight
> learning curve. I've
> > done a great deal of multi-track recording with it. There are
> quite a few
> > Linux apps for multitrack recording (notably Ardour) but
> Audacity was the
> > easiest one to get started with. A drum machine helps too. It
> allows me to
>
> It always strikes me as strange that people in here suggest Audacity and
> virtually ignore snd.
>
> { http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2001/10/05/snd_partone.html }
>
> Snd seems more capable to me, uses the same plugins, has an easy
> interface and is easily {guile
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html }
> extensible and has more depth {potential depth}

Or maybe there's room for both, based on what your needs, interests and
temperaments are...

I know I'm just a lowly Windows Pro Tools user who keeps trying to use Linux
apps, but every time I've tried Snd it's always seemed so high-maintenance
compared to Audacity, so I've tended to like Audacity. Maybe I've missed the
point, but it feels (to me anyway) like if you don't program you won't enjoy
working with Snd.

I agree that, on the surface Snd does seem like it might, possibly, some day
be more capable overall, but the extra stuff has not proven important enough
to me to warrant the pain of getting over the learn curve. I didn't find the
interface very intuitive, at least for what I needed to do.

I think those of us that are Sound Forge users find Audacity's interface
pretty intuitive. Sound Forge is pretty popular in the Windows world and
Audacity, while not a copy at all, feels pretty similar. Things are done
pretty much the same way and in the same places.

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but just pointing out that
there are some of us who have tried both and like Audacity. I'm not ignoring
Snd. It's just not my cup of tea.

thanks,
Mark