Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI and Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI and Linux
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 02:24:37 EEST

Hi Daniel,

> Quick description of what I WANT to do:
> Compose music on my Linux system, playback MIDI files.
>
> What I HAVE done in the past:
> I've composed midis in windows for pretty much as long as I can remember.
> Starting on an AdLib card, I have never bought myself any other hardware
> than soundcards. I composed in MIDI only, using JazzWare
> (www.jazzware.com), which I would be able to get for Linux as well of
> course.

Yes, but not recommended... it's hardly developed anymore and it does not
support all the 'fancy stuff' tm that is and will be coming out of the Linux
Audio Community.

> So exactly what do I need.. is MIDI the way to go at all still or should I
> consider learning some other format (probably using some tracker like
> software.. a finnish friend of mine exclusively uses Impulse Tracker on his
> win box)? What Software Synth (if that is the name of the thing I will
> need) will I need, what can you recommend? It would of course be best for
> all if someone could just point me to a general FAQ and tell me to read the
> fabulous manual.
>
> Right now I'm also running ALSA 0.5.. there is some version of esound on my
> computer as well. Things are rather confused, but my other mail will be on
> that topic.

Okay. With your last remark in mind I'd say that you probably have a rather
old Linux distribution installed.
I suggest, rather strongly, that you update to one that is absolutely fresh.
Buy one or download it off of the net.
Linux distributions are constantly moving targets, every release cycle that
goes around "shows", partly due to great competition between the major
Linux-distro players, partly due to great work by the communities (like this
one, but perhaps not the most important community for distros ;)
Which distro to choose is a tough question. I'd have to say that most people
choose this with their hearts.
Distros that I _know_ are used by people here are: Suse, Mandrake, Redhat,
Debian and AltLinux, there are probably a few more around also.

Myself I use Mandrake, it suits me, I'm sure others can sing their praise
about the other distros that are in use here.

When you got this nailed you should have good support for new apps and
especially linux multimedia stuff. Either the multimedia stuff is already
installed, or it is available to install without too much hassle.

Next up it gets tougher. You mention that you used to compose in jazz in
Windows, using your soundcard as synthesizer. This is a fairly standard
setup, infact, it's so generic that it's hard to place any good bets on what
you should use, especially when you mention trackers as a possible option :).
I mean, trackers are nice, but they're also rather specific (their original
design came from making music for the actual hardware of the old Amiga to put
in demos.)

To try and answer some of your questions in a way that I _think_ you mean
them:

- Yes, midi is still (probably/unfortunately/regretably ...pick your
favourite(s)) the way to go.

- You should try one of the available midi sequencers that are around, MusE,
Rosegarden are integrated versions (they try to do both Midi and Audio),
there are quite a few midi only sequencers also.
(Have a look at http://linux-sound.org/ for lots...)

I'm assuming you don't have any external gear since you didn't use it before?
Then softsynths are probably the way to go.
Mark suggested (rightfully) amSynth and ZynAddSubFX. You should probably also
have a look at FluidSynth, since it's a sample-player and then probably
resembles most your old setup.

--------

To round up:

There are an almost infinite amount of possible ways to compose music, even if
we disregard from the most experimental types there's still quite a few. I
think you would have an easier time picking your "right" environment if you
stick around here and ask a few more questions :).

Regards,
Robert