Re: [linux-audio-user] aplay, plughw, alsamixer question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] aplay, plughw, alsamixer question
From: fpirrone (fpirrone_AT_localnet.com)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 20:34:25 EEST

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 20:28, fpirrone wrote:
>

>>Mark,
>>
>>I don't have any experiences with your hardware and didn't think my
>>reply would be of much use to you, but running the exact command you
>>post on my cs4236 system produces sound that is under control of
>>alsamixer, as does -Dhw:0, so that suggests to me that aplay is directly
>>affected by the settings in the mixer.
>>

>Frank,
> Actually, your results are extremely helpful. Now I know this is a
>bug which is a step forward. Thanks.
>
> My hardware (HDSP 9652) is currently unsupported, but we are trying
>to get it to work. I just needed verification that the command worked
>the way you say. I suspected it did.
>

>>Now, some cards do not have a mixer so they should not behave this way,
>>as I assume would be the case if there were something wrong with the
>>driver for a card that does have a mixer. In either event I would not
>>expect to see controls in amixer or the gamix graphical interface. If
>>you see them and they have no effect that sounds like a malfunction.
>>
>>Couldn't find any answer to your channel question. My system does not
>>seem to provide a relevant option to explore this further. I fooled
>>around with -c and -I options but could draw no useful conclusions.
>>

> May I ask what hardware you are using, and if you attempted to use (or
>could you try out?) both mono and stereo wave files? I am curious
>whether for you a mono wave file would be played on all channels, as my
>driver is currently doing, or just channel 1, and whether a stereo file
>is played as mono or in stereo.
>
> Anyway, your response was exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks much
>for verifying this.
>
>Cheers,
>Mark

Mark,

I absolutely cannot force a play out one channel. Again, using -c 1
which the manpage suggests is channel #, or to quote: "number of
channels." I played both a mono .wav and an .au file and they came out
of both channels. Stereo plays out both channels with the
psychoacoustic image of spatiality.

Hardware here is an onboard cs4236 chip (also MidiMan 2x2 outboard USB)
with the latest CCRMA updates to RedHat 8.0 SMB workstation running
FluxBox (we've talked before), and everything seems to work as expected.

So, what's going on here? Is this a default behavior with mono files?
Is this a bug? Why can't a signal be forced to one channel?

Frank