Re: [linux-audio-user] Whoo-hoo, it (sort-of) works (sorry, it's long)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Whoo-hoo, it (sort-of) works (sorry, it's long)
From: Jesse Chappell (jesse_AT_essej.net)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 18:56:28 EEST

Greg Reddin wrote on Mon, 28-Jul-2003:

> I downloaded the tarball from the Ardour site. It configured and
> compiled without problems. The interesting thing is that the first
> time I started Ardour, my computer completely locked up. The mouse
> wouldn't move, I couldn't switch apps using the keyboard. I figure
> that if I had it connected to a network I could've SSH'd in and
> killed some processes, but it wasn't connected, so I shut it down.
> Upon rebooting I had to run fsck to recover my filesystem. Not an
> extremely painful experience. After I got everything booted back up,
> I said "what the heck, I'll try it again", and this time it did not
> crash. I was able to import some wave files and play around with it.
> I was not able to record using my laptop's mic, but I haven't really
> tried to debug that yet, and it's not terribly important at this
> point.

Be sure you are not using ext3 with certain versions of the 2.4.20
kernel. Jan's page should have covered this I think, so this
might not have been the issue.

> I wanted to do some more experimenting, so I downloaded and installed
> wxWindows-GTK and Freqtweak, compiled, and installed them. For some
> reason Freqtweak gives me an error when I try to run it. Something
> about cannot load wxGTK-2.4.1.so, no such file or directory. I
> suppose I need to learn something about installing shared libraries
> and making them available to other applications. Any tips would be
> appreciated.

Hmm. When you installed wxGTK from source, it probably went into
/usr/local/lib (unless you specified --prefix=/usr on the configure
line). You need to make sure that this is in your library path.
The easiest way is to edit your /etc/ld.so.conf file and add a
line with '/usr/local/lib'. Then run 'ldconfig'.

Hope this helps....

jlc