Re: [linux-audio-user] [ot] places for open music?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [ot] places for open music?
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 11:49:32 EEST

> which license should I supply, if I just want anyone to be
> > able to download it freely and - if desired - edit it, as long as
> > my name still appears somewhere?
>
> Perhaps you might find this site interesting, regarding licensing
> issues. http://creativecommons.org/

Personally, I find the Creative Commons licences flexible, but far too
wordy. They are more like a contract, a EULA, or the GNU GPL than
existing music licences. Almost no-one reads the GPL end to end -
that's why so many people don't understand it.

Look at any CD package; the licences tend to be about one paragraph
long, and could be edited down to just one word - DON'T. A really
good free music licence would be just as succinct.

If you want to allow derivative versions, have a look at the bLiP
licence. Second item down on:

http://www.justablip.co.uk/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=4

Cheers

Daniel