Re: [linux-audio-user] real-time guitar signal processor

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] real-time guitar signal processor
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 04:03:41 EEST

wouter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there exists something like a linux software based
> real-time guitar signal processor. Something like line6's pod, but not
> that big, just to put some effects (distortion, wah wah, ...) on my
> sound during playing (i.e. real time).
>
> Completely new to this stuff, so I have completely no idea whether it
> exists or even is feasible (latency etc...)

It's feasible and people have made their own but you won't find anything
that small that claims to use Linux software for sale (yet).

If you want to make something you could get a midi controller footpedal
and hook it up to ssm, ams, ecasound, pd, maybe even jackrack.

It would be fun but you would have to lug a notebook with midi or a
portable PC around with you. If you want to find out about portable PCs
check out my site

http://www.boosthardware.com

or there are a couple of other people doing similar who might chime in here.

You will need a good sound card too. Probably not a usb one though as
they don't do low latency very well yet.

--

Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd. http://www.boosthardware.com http://www.djcj.org - The Linux Audio Users guide ========================================

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman