Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA/Evolution USB keyboard

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA/Evolution USB keyboard
From: Atte André Jensen (atte_AT_ballbreaker.dk)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 22:23:59 EEST

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:21:04 +0200 (METDST)
Clemens Ladisch <clemens_AT_ladisch.de> wrote:

> Atte André Jensen wrote:
> > I can't produce a working .asoundrc myself.
>
> Currently, there isn't much to be configured for MIDI device plugins,
> so you don't need an .asoundrc for your keyboard.

So actually I don't need neither ~/.asoundrc or modules.conf (I compiled everything
in the kernel, remember?)

> > I run debian/unstable so there's no such thing as
> > /etc/modules.conf. It's was /etc/modutils/alsa, but now I moved it
> > out of the way. Instead I figured I'd start with ~/.asoundrc,
> > since I believe they should be the same.
>
> modules.conf has nothing to do with the ~/.asoundrc file. The former
> tells modprobe how to load modules and where to find them, the latter
> tells ALSA about user-defined plugins.

Ok, that makes sense...

> The log messages are from the OSS usb-midi driver. /proc/asound/cards
> shows that ALSA's snd-usb-audio is loaded. You now have two drivers
> trying to access the same device.
>
> Please add the following lines to the /etc/hotplug/blacklist file to
> prevent the OSS drivers from loading:
>
> audio
> usb-midi

Actually I had to remove it from the kernel. Quite confusing IMHO, I would have
guessed that usb-midi was for supporting usb-midi :-) Seems that's for midi
interfaces connected to the usb port.

Now everything works:
 *I can connect the evolution in aconnectgui to aseqview and get readings when I
play the keyboard
 *Csound can be driven from /dev/midi1
 *PD (which I never used) recieves midi data if started with '-midiindev "2"'

I have a lot of discovering to do now.

I owe you guys a beer for helping me out! I started documenting the progress I'm
making here: http://atte.dyndns.dk/linux. Right now it's quite incomplete but at
least the XF86Config and kernel .config files that took me a few days to arrive at
are to be found there...

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte