Re: [linux-audio-user] New To List

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New To List
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 09:59:50 EEST

Hi,

Wednesday 20 August 2003 05:20 skrev Chris Share:
> Hi,
>
> After reading an article about Linux and music in Sound On Sound recently,
> I thought I'd take the plunge and begin moving my music studio to Linux.
> Currently I'm using an Athlon XP-based PC and a PowerMac 7600/200. The PC
> contains a Hoontech DSP24 Value card and an MPU-401 style MIDI interface
> that I put together myself. The Mac contains a Yamaha SW1000 card and an
> Opcode MIDI interface. My main music software is Cubase, although I've used
> tons of other music software over the years.

First, I'd ask you to go slow with moving your music to linux. You _are_ going
to have problems, probably lots of problems. In my opinion it is worth it
though, just for the freedom.

Myself I use Linux 24-7 nowdays, (okay, perhaps not that much, I atleast sleep
sometimes ;) ) but it has taken a lot of time to move my audio stuff to linux
(read years).

A friend of mine started a similar, full scale move, a few months ago, with a
very agressive schedule, I think he actually has fared quite well this far.
his page: http://computerville.homeip.net/audio/hostile17/

> The main programs I'm interested using are Rosegarden and Ardour, although
> I'm also interested in looking at some of the softsynth stuff too.

You may want to try out MusE also, it's pretty much a clone of Cubase, makes
you feel right at home :)

http://muse.seh.de

It's not as stable as newer versions of Cubase, but imho it's one of the best
in Linux.

<...>
> I'm currently looking at getting a new soundcard--the Hoontech was really
> only a temporary measure to get sound out of the PC. Unfortunately, it
> seems that the SW1000 won't ever be supported so it's not much use.

The hoontech isn't bad per se, but I think it has problems with noise.

Any envy24 based card is good (which the DSP24 is), those that have external
AD/DA are in general great.

The envy24 cards are quite well supported in Linux, I'm not sure if there are
differences that cause some of the cards to work better or worse, you'd
better check the alsa-lists/site for this kind of info.

Regards,
Robert