Re: [linux-audio-user] Good organ sound needed

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Good organ sound needed
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 16:19:35 EEST

Jeremiah Benham wrote:

[re: Csound and my examples]

> > Could it be used for real-time performance?
>
> I think it depends on your computer and how much other stuff you are
> doing.
>
> here is a link
> http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/dp_csound.html

Hi all:

  I appreciate the pointers to my pages, but alas, they aren't exactly
up-to-date (although the Linux Csound page is better maintained). I'll
attempt to answer the original query in a Csound context:

   You can easily design a GEN table such as the following:

        f1 0 8192 10 1 0 .9 0 0 .7 0 0 0 .4 0 0 0 0 .01

that will make a somewhat organ-ish sound. And yes indeed, it can be
triggered via MIDI for realtime performance. However, if you're going
the Csound route I suggest taking a look at Josep Comajuncosas'
DirectHammond CSD file. It's a realtime instrument with an FLTK
interface, you can check it out at Josep's site at csounds.com:

        http://www.csounds.com/jmc/index.htm

Lots of interesting stuff there. Note that Josep writes his instruments
for Gabriel Maldonado's DirectCsound, a version of Csound for Windows,
but they can usually be adapted to work with either canonical Csound or
the Varga versions.

  You might also want to check out Horgand:

        http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/soudfontcombi/horgand.html

which also requires FLTK but is a standalone instrument, i.e. it does
not require Csound or any other synthesis app. It's also JACK-aware, a
nice touch.

Best regards,

== dp