Re: [linux-audio-user] New To List

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New To List
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 17:20:30 EEST

> Initially, I installed Debian on my PC, however it didn't get along
> with my TFT monitor.

It should work, because the software should be XFree86, same as any
other distribution. Only the configuration tools usually vary between
distributions.

Did you try lowering the refresh rate? My TFT panel won't refresh
nearly as fast as my old CRT monitor, so when I first plugged in the
flat panel it didn't work with X either. I had to re-run the
configuration tool first.

> I've since bought Red Hat 9.0.

You should find that easier to install than Debian if you're new to
Linux. I suggest you set up the machine for the Planet CCRMA packages
after installation - that will give you ALSA and everything else you
need:

http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

Glad you were inspired by the SoS article!

Cheers

Daniel