Re: [linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 21:59:48 EEST

Hartmut Z Noack <symposion_AT_onlinehome.de> writes:

> Am Mit, 2003-08-20 um 19.07 schrieb Jack O'Quin:
> > Check your hdparms. But, most of all I recommend making sure you're
> > running the low latency kernel patches. This is essential. The JACK
> > FAQ has some useful instructions...
> >
> > <http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php#a5>

> That is interesting, i hoped, i could avoid to recompile if i run
> everything as root (the recommendation regarding the patches pointed to
> the use of jackstart and to running jackapps as non-root)

Sorry. A better reference for low latency is...

  <http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/resourceslatency.php3>

There are two important kernel patches: low latency, and capabilities.
You can avoid needing the capabilities patch by running as root (a
poor solution, IMHO). But, there's no getting around needing the low
latency patch. The stock kernels are just too badly broken from a
latency perspective for most serious audio work.

> guess i have to read some more and "take the risk" to recompile :-|

It's really not hard to build your own kernel. But, if you don't feel
comfortable doing it, there are other options. Planet CCRMA[1] has
properly patched kernel RPMs for most the Red Hat distributions. They
also provide an excellent suite of audio applications.

--
  Jack O'Quin
  Austin, Texas, USA

[1] <http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/>