RE: [linux-audio-user] New To List

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] New To List
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 22:29:06 EEST

Ron,
   Very well said! I pretty much completely agree with everything you
said.

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 11:48, R Parker wrote:
<SNIP>

> These cash donations are excellent investments because
> they inherit the attached freedom and become available
> to everyone. As the user community grows, more
> features should be requested and paid for.

Yep.

> I don't think linux audio solutions are all things to
> all people, yet! However, I am hopeful that
> developments during the next couple years will cause
> us to become more productive and creative than the
> proprietary communities.

Yep again.

> I think jackd and libsndfile are excellent testaments
> for the practicality of freedom. It's encouaging to
> see developers of distinct solutions work towards
> common interests.

Yep yep yep a third time. These two environments (they are really more
than apps) are worth the price of admission alone in my opinion.

Even if I never use a major Linux app, I am convinced that Linux has a
permanent place in my audio area. Jack as nothing more than an audio
router, coupled with the mixing and clock control I get from Thomas
Charbonnel's hdspmixer and hdspconf male it almost magical for me. I am
now setting up headphone mixes in Linux, controlling monitoring and how
Pro Tools sees audio sources via the routing on my HDSP 9652, and
hooking in low latency Linux soft synths all on a single machine. I
think this box completely replaces and improves upon some of the
commercially available ADAT signal routes out there at a fraction of the
cost.

> I think linux audio will become more immediately
> gratifying with time. Meanwhile, it requires vision
> and persistance.

Persistence is right. ;-)

> Mark, what about syncing ardour and rosegarden or
> other midi apps? That's my intention. I suspect this
> will be feasible soon. Have you been following the
> jack_transport developments? BTW, it's good to see you
> getting into the game with the HDSP card. :)

Very possible technically, I suppose, but I haven't been on any of the
Ardour, Rosegarden or Jack reflectors for months so I don't know the
latest. Last thing I knew was Paul Davis saying he thought the latencies
were going to be too large.

I personally have concerns (from a compositional standpoint) about
looping two separate big apps like these apps and getting them to really
stay in sync.

Also, for me, I sometimes need to cut audio and MIDI together as I'm
composing. I think that would be difficult to do in two apps, I while I
don't know a thing about the Jack transport efforts, I would not have
thought that cut and paste would be part of that.

I do sort of wonder when one app with decide to swallow the other? ;-)
(Or another team rise to the challenge of creating an all encompasing
app out of these two.) I guess there were technical problems as they
used different libraries for the GUI if I remember correctly.

I acknowledge that these sorts of issues are not what I'd expect a guy
running a recording studio (doing mostly audio work I presume) would
have on his wish list. My little project studio work is in a really
different space.

> I'm pretty good at learning to work with the tools
> that are available--whether linux or other. Of course
> there are points where that's not enough.

Well said. Wish I had as much patience. Not my strongest trait! ;-)

Cheers,
Mark