Re: [linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 12:01:05 EEST

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 11:32:46 +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Hartmut Z Noack wrote:
> >
> >I think about
> > wether i buy another IDE-HD and spread the installation on 2 disks to
> >get more bandwith
>
> This is the most sensible option IMO.
>
> You will always get xruns if you are recording to the same drive as your
> OS. Even the same ide cable can cause problems. It's best to have two
> disks hda (OS) and hdc (recording).

Its not neccesary though - I only got one IDE disk, with a plan to get
another later, but I've not had problems so far (recording 8 or 10 tracks
in ardour simultaneously).

I probably will add one at some point, maybe external firewire, for the
ability to move it about. But if you only use a few tracks it doesn't
seem to be vital like it used to be.

OT: If your using modern SCSI disks it can pay to turn down the disk
elevator size with elvtune - otherwise the disks elevtator fights with
the kernels and it can effect your throughput quite badly.

- Steve