[linux-audio-user] Linux/ALSA/Jack latency tests

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Linux/ALSA/Jack latency tests
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 13:46:16 EEST

Hello,

In the course of researching another Linux article for Sound on Sound,
I was having a discussion with the features editor about latency,
specifically Linux versus Windows and Mac. The only cross-platform
serious study I'm aware of is this one, which is a bit out of date:

http://gigue.peabody.jhu.edu/~mdboom/latency-icmc2001.pdf

Now the features editor looked it up for himself and found this page,
also out of date I think:

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/linux/alsa.htm

It quotes a latency under Linux for the Hammerfall of 20ms, where as
Windows can do 6ms with this card if you install the ASIO drivers. I
think he's now sceptical that Linux can compete with Windows/ASIO in
the area of low latency.

Can any RME (or other pro card) users on the list quote reliable
latency figures for their own systems? It would be very helpful.

My personal experience is that you can get negligible latency on
Audacity overdubs with Mandrake and the 'multimedia' kernel, compared
to obvious latency on Windows 98. But I haven't set up any scientific
tests with matching hardware.

Cheers

Daniel