Re: [linux-audio-user] recording of live audio streaming

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] recording of live audio streaming
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 11:52:07 EEST

> I've tried whats suggested here to no avail:
>
> tim_AT_debian:/tmp$ streamripper
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio1.shtml -r Connecting...
>
> error -54 [SR_ERROR_NOT_SHOUTCAST_STREAM]
> bye..
>
> Are these types of streams accessible? I don't know where to
> start, even to identify what sort of stream it is!

The BBC trialled Ogg Vorbis/Icecast streaming but last thing I heard
was that they weren't making it a permanent service yet. That means
at the moment you've got to use RealPlayer, which I think
intentionally disables streaming to hard disc in a feeble attempt at
DRM. I guess you could intercept the audio on its way to the
soundcard somehow.

If you just want to test the software, try Virgin Radio which has a
permanent high-quality Icecast service. If it's Radio 1 you're after
specifically, you'll probably get better quality results using a good
FM tuner connected to your soundcard, or maybe via a digital
satellite TV service if you're not in the UK.

I have a pretty fast IP over satellite broadband system which is good
for 400-450kb on a typical connection, but I still get skips and
breaks in the audio with RealPlayer - I don't with Icecast.

Cheers

Daniel