[linux-audio-user] mtpav and cups on rh9.0

Subject: [linux-audio-user] mtpav and cups on rh9.0
From: Tracey Anne Hytry (shakti_AT_bayarea.net)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 14:52:35 EEST

Hi everyone,

I was setting up the main music machine here to run RedHat 9.0, so that I could use the Planet CCRMA colection when I ran into a little problem. I thought that I would post it here, so that it might get archived for future reference.

I had some problems with the driver for the older Motu mtpav midi router we have that's driven by the computer via the printer port.

It turns out that the CUPS printing system, which is the rh9.0 default, totally ties up the parallel port even when the defined printer is a network printer. Once "cups" is loaded the port becomes unusable even if the cups service is later stopped. The only way to free up the port is to reboot the machine it seems.

Using the old style LPD printing seems to work just fine, so the problem is easily fixed.

Machine is older PIII running the planet 2.4.21-1.ll.acpi kernel with acpi turned off on the kernel command line. LowLatencey is turned on via /etc/sysctl.conf. Alsa drivers seem to be version 0.9.4 or newer(whatever Nando compiled on the above kernel). Card 0 = snd-ice1712 Card 1 = snd-mtpav

tracey