Re: [linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK
From: Hartmut Z Noack (symposion_AT_onlinehome.de)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 17:41:12 EEST

Am Fre, 2003-08-22 um 15.34 schrieb Robert Jonsson:
> Friday 22 August 2003 15:03 skrev Daniel James:
> > > In a digital world there is a big difference between the number of
> > > external inputs/outputs you have and the number of internal tracks
> > > you utilize.
> >
> > Sure, but he doesn't use a computer and was thinking in terms of a 24
> > track tape machine with 24 analogue inputs. He perceived that 8
> > analogue inputs on a digital system wouldn't be enough for a *solo*
> > project, because he believed that professional musicans all use 24
> > track equipment - so he had to have 24 inputs too.
> >
> > My concern is that sometimes the technology doesn't enable creativity,
> > it puts up a new barrier - such as overcomplexity.
>
> I can't remember who it was that said that 'any sufficiently advanced
> technology is indistinguishable from magic', anyway, it is true.

Arthur C Clarke mentioned this.Quite reactionairy-i tend to say, i made
the experience, that mistaking technology for magic often slows the
process of learning how to work with that Technology. More than once i
said to myself - "WoW! it is THAT easy - if i would have known how easy
it is i would have reached this point two houres ago..."
This is especially the case since i switched to LINUX. Playing around
with closed Software for Years made my believe that Software is a magic
lore.

> In the short term it may seem like overcomplexity, in the long term however
> it's evolution and will soon be what average joe uses, without thinking about
> it.

At least a good deal of this complexity comes with the way programmers
think: i need this function - this new library gives me that easily - so
i use it. i want these fancy buttons and i want them now - lets make
those dudes out there install another toolkit.

> There is a possibility that it really _IS_ overcomplexity, but then something
> else will come along, a new paradigm, that takes over. Evolution saves the
> day once again :)
>
> Myself I don't think it is too complex, it may be magic to those who haven't
> taken the plunge yet though.

I agree, besides it can be quite funny to learn from scratch.
Thus i save the money and the time that others spend on playing
strategy-games