Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio Quattro

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio Quattro
From: Austin (aacton_AT_yorku.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 16:20:44 EEST

On 08/26/03 06:31:04, Chris Butt wrote:
> Hello,
> Another user struggling with his Quattro here.
> I've tried it on three computers with Mandrake 9.1 and then again with
> 9.2beta2 on one and whenever I plug it in / turn it on it crashes the
> machine.

You need at least ALSA 0.9.5. Mandrake 9.2beta2 only had 0.9.2. Currently we
have 0.9.6 in the cooker kernel, but it's broken. If you just compile the
alsa drivers from source and install them with 'checkinstall' everything works
fine. My quattro sounds great using cooker and alsa from source. We're
trying to get the broken kernel alsa working ASAP.

> I've tried blacklisting audio usbaudio and usb-midi (because they should
> start with snd- if they're alsa, right?) and it still crashes.

Yes, you need to do this, but it's an unrelated problem.

> Incidentally, on the same machine, knoppix 3.2 reports
> Soundcard: M Audio USB Audio Quattro driver=audio (so not alsa?)

Same deal, you'll have to blacklist 'audio'. The problem is that the hotplug
device list is created automatically from the kernel modules, and there is no
way for a distribution to 'set' the order hotplug detects your devices in. So
since 'audio' comes before 'snd-usb-audio' or whatever, 'audio' gets chosen
first. We (Mandrake) are also working on a way to fix this, but we are not
too hopeful.

Let me know how it goes.

Austin

--
                         Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
              Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant