Re: [linux-audio-user] DVD audio authoring

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] DVD audio authoring
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 10:51:10 EEST

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 05:48:32PM -0700, kevin ernste wrote:
> The Pioneer doesn't do the real-time MLP encoding, it's done in
> software. An encoding app writes an .mlp file which is then burned
> from a separate tool.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks. So its just video it can do in realtime.

> Regardless of MLP (highly unlikely, as you say, because of patents) or
> something like it, DVD-A support for linux would be a great thing.

Yes, thats very true. Are any other formats allowed for DVD-A? The
audio part of DVD video can use MPEG streams IIRC, and we have free-ish
MPEG encoders. 9+ MB/s of 4 channel MPEG would be pretty high quality.

Otherwise, maybe pioneer would licence thier linux version of the MLP
tools.

- Steve