Re: [linux-audio-user] DVD audio authoring

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] DVD audio authoring
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 13:34:38 EEST

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:15:32 -0700, kevin ernste wrote:
> Just to be clear, we own an internal DVD-R/RW Pioneer drive (sub $300),
> not the stand-alone Pioneer setup Daniel was referring to. The
> multi-channel mix (the music) is encoded in software to an mlp, and
> then burned with DVD-A authoring software.

Ah, OK.

> Anyone else have more information about this? Is there another way to
> handle high-resolution DVD-A?

Yup, PCM.

> How far (sampling/bit) does 9+ MB/s get us with, for example, 4
> channels of audio (too lazy to do the math -- it's 5 am)?

It's 9.6Mb/s, not MB/s (mea culpa), but 4x24/96 will fit.
Also its M = 10^6, not 2^20

The max is 24/192, and you can get 2 channels of that.

Aparently the audio goes in the AUDIO_TS directory, but I dont have a DVD-A
player to experiment with, and I dont know what header/format.filenames
the PCM files have. I wonder if DVD-A players are cheap yet...

- Steve