Re: [linux-audio-user] DVD audio authoring

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] DVD audio authoring
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 14:35:16 EEST

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:04:12 +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> > you can store
> > uncomressed PCM on DVD-A discs, you still only get 9.6 Mb/s, but
> > that just gives you enough bandwidth for 4 24/96 or 6 24/48
> > channels.
>
> How many minutes of audio can you get on a DVD-A then, assuming you
> use the maximum bandwidth available to get the highest sample rate
> for your number of channels?

According to my maths you only get 65 mins if you max out the bandwidth
allocation (9.6Mb/s, 37.6Gb/disk).

However you get 135 mins with stereo 24/96.

> I can imagine this could work quite well without MLP encoding for
> stereo music, as opposed to surround mixes. As Mike Oldfield once put
> it, you only have two ears and your natural inclination is to face
> the thing you are listening to. I don't think he was very happy with
> some of the surround version done of his music, dating back to the
> quadraphonic vinyl days.

Yeah, some of the surround mixes I've heard recently aren't exactly
wonderful either. Personally I find wiring up surround speakers too much
of a pain, I used to have a 5.1 setup in my lounge, but I didn't bother
putting it back last time I moved as I couldnt face all the wiring.

Some random facts that seem relevant:

That are on the order of 100 DVD-Audio disks for sale in the UK (dunno
which are MLP or PCM), prices are the same as CDs. A DVD-A capable player
costs about EUR100, most cheap ones cant play DVD-A.

I cant find a public spec for DVD-A online, but the combination of a bit
of reverse engineering, a DVD-RW friendly player, and what stuff is
available (manufactures tech FAQs etc.) should make it a fun project :)

- Steve