Re: [linux-audio-user] Which kernel to use for audio work?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Which kernel to use for audio work?
From: Christian Henz (chrhenz_AT_gmx.de)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 18:55:10 EEST

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 03:14:27PM +0200, Robert Epprecht wrote:
> I'm currently setting up an audio system on Debian sarge.
> The system will be used for audio work only.
>
> My sound hardware is RME Multiface and the PCI card.
> Of course I want ALSA and JACK.
>
> I wonder which kernel version I should try first, 2.4.?? (which one)
> or a 2.6.0 test kernel? I'm fine with kernel source from kernel.org
> and don't need a debianised kernel source.

kernel-source-2.4.21 is the latest available in Debian unstable, so you could just get that one, as well as alsa-source, kernel-patch-2.4-lowlatency, kernel-patch-2.4-preempt. You probably also want to apply the capability patch (manually, see jack docs @ jackit.sf.net). I think this is the kernel setup that most people use.

For the 2.6.0-test series, you should get the latest from kernel.org, since the Debian packackes are some weeks behind.

cheers,
Christian Henz