Re: [linux-audio-user] Flash audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Flash audio
From: Rob (lau_AT_kudla.org)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 01:53:01 EEST

On Sunday 31 August 2003 14:14, RTaylor wrote:
> Adobe's viewer is free... so's Corels. Installation's no more
> complex than installing the Flash viewer. Both companies
> offer

Ease of installation doesn't count as much when every proprietary
browser (and most Linux distributions) comes with Flash
preinstalled.

> As far as audio goes... Real's Helix project gives you the
> http://www.realnetworks.com/products/producer/
> https://www.helixcommunity.org/2002/intro/potential-projects
> tools to do anything you need at the same level of quality
> that any other system on the 'net can give you.

Let me know when it's integrated with the SVG tools, with
synchronization and all, the way MP3 and other audio formats are
integrated with SWF. Have you actually looked at what people
are doing with Flash these days? These guys are visual artists,
and they don't want to hear about SMIL and interleaved MPEG-4.
They want to hear about "File/Save As", and they're willing to
pay (and put up with proprietary formats) for it.

> It's as capable and usable as SWF... There's absolutely no
> reason not to use it.

When I see someone do something as nifty as the homestar or
campchaos.com stuff using the hodgepodge of tools and formats
you're describing, I'll believe that.

> Any artist worth his salt researches his tools to a fairly
> high degree. {Tho' that does seem to be going out of favor}

Those who do will come to the conclusion (currently a correct
one) that they'll reach 90% or more of users using Flash and....
substantially less for SVG. And Macromedia will sell another
$500 worth of Windows or Mac-only software. Just as I think the
PNG guys were short-sighted in trying to introduce another
unsupported format (MNG) for animations, rendering PNG an
incomplete alternative to GIF, I think that if the SVG guys are
really trying to replace Flash (rather than just another
graphics metafile format) they will need to find a way to
integrate other media that makes sense to artists, not just to
nerds like you and me.

Rob