Re: [linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart
From: Clemens Ladisch (clemens_AT_ladisch.de)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 10:39:35 EEST

BartonBosch_AT_aol.com wrote:
> I am trying to use the hardware wavetable midi synth on my YMF
> 740C sound "card" onboard my motherboard with ALSA and MusE.

The hardware wavetable synth on YMF PCI cards isn't (yet) supported by
ALSA.

> # lsmod lists snd-mp401-uart, snd-rawmidi, and snd-opl3-lib among
> the sound related modules. Can someone give me a definitive
> answer as to what these modules are?

snd-mpu401-uart is the driver for the external MIDI port (you'd need a
gameport/MIDI adapter for this). snd-rawmidi is an ALSA module
handling device file management and buffering for MIDI ports.
snd-opl3-lib is the driver for the OPL3 FM synth.

> I checked /proc/modules, so these three modules are loaded, but I
> can't figure out how to access them generally or through MusE.

I guess Muse uses the ALSA sequencer. Run "aconnect -o" to see a list
of output ports.

> Checking /proc/asound/devices does not list any midi devices,

Did you specifiy the parameters for snd-ymfpci in modules.conf?
(e.g. mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388)

HTH
Clemens