Re: [linux-audio-user] Latency question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Latency question
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 01:21:05 EEST

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 05:01:17PM -0500, millward wrote:
> How bad is 2 ms latency?
> I'm trying to decide upon a sound card and
> I've noticed that the Creative Sound Blaster
> Audigy 2 has a 2 ms latency, but offers
> "hiss free" audio fidelity at 106 dB SNR.

hmm. I'd look at independent test results before I believe
any such SNR specs. it's possible that they've produced
such a card ... it's also possible they've fudged the specs.

as for the 2 ms latency... i don't think there's actually any
difference between the cards there, I think they're talking about
different things. An input -> output round-trip will
invariably have some latency,
and 2 ms is pretty close to the hardware limit. The "zero latency"
feature of some "pro" cards means that you can monitor inputs before
they go through the A-D / D-A conversion so you don't hear a
smeary delay on the live parts. I don't know if the Audigy does
this.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's UBER SUCTION KILLER MADE OF BUTTER! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)