[linux-audio-user] Recording from Line-In

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Recording from Line-In
From: G Cote (garyb_AT_cotecorner.com)
Date: Sat Sep 06 2003 - 22:43:01 EEST

I'm having problems recording from line in.
Without knowing exactly what's going wrong, all I
can say is that I can only playback "silence."

As I'm recording, I can hear the audio being fed
back through the external speakers. I can also use
various mixers to mute/unmute and set the volume on
the "Line" setting. So I'm pretty sure everything is
hooked up right.

I initially tried using sox/notlame/mpg123 ...

# record and encode
$ sox -t ossdsp -w -r 44100 /dev/dsp -t cdr - |
  notlame -k -v -S - /tmp/out.mp3
# playback
$ mpg123 /tmp/out.mp3

I've since tried to simplify things ...
$ rec -d /dev/dsp /tmp/out.wav
$ play /tmp/out.wav

Neither of them work.

System details are provided below. What else can
I do to troubleshoot this?

Thank in advance

 - gary

System
. redhat 8.0 (2.4.20-19.7)
. alsa-0.9.6
. Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card

$ lspci
00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS
4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio
Accelerator] (rev 01)

$ lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
snd-seq-midi 5312 0 (autoclean) (unused)
snd-seq-oss 34720 0 (unused)
snd-seq-midi-event 6048 0 [snd-seq-midi
snd-seq-oss]
snd-seq 47280 2 [snd-seq-midi
snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-pcm-oss 45284 0
snd-mixer-oss 16408 1 [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-cs46xx 80636 1
snd-rawmidi 18656 0 [snd-seq-midi
snd-cs46xx]
snd-seq-device 6284 0 [snd-seq-midi
snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-rawmidi]
snd-ac97-codec 50264 0 [snd-cs46xx]
snd-pcm 85344 0 [snd-pcm-oss
snd-cs46xx]
snd-timer 19588 0 [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd 43108 0 [snd-seq-midi
snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event sn
d-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-cs46xx snd-rawmidi
snd-seq-device snd-ac97-c
odec snd-pcm snd-timer]
soundcore 6372 8 [snd]
gameport 3440 0 [snd-cs46xx]
snd-page-alloc 9876 0 [snd-cs46xx snd-pcm]

$ cat /etc/modules.conf

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-cs46xx