Re: [linux-audio-user] What's arts? (Re: Recording from Line-In)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] What's arts? (Re: Recording from Line-In)
From: Guy Daniel CLOTILDE (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 08:27:17 EEST

G Cote wrote / a écrit:

> Apparently, I'm running arts. Great. One more thing
> I don't really understand.

Well, The sound server arts let multiple differents apps play a sound simultaneously.
Example: you are listening to a mp3 with noatun, and you minimize the window. The window manager makes a "pchitt" sounds, wihout interrupting the mp3. Noatun and the window manager can do this because they don't access the sound card directly, but through arts. Otherwise, one sound should be stopped while the other is playing. I've been told that some sound cards can mix sounds directly without this trick, but I don't know more about it.

Lot of people (me included) don't use arts nor esd (enlightenment sound daemon). One of the problem is that they induce latency and you don't want this if you want real-time audio.

cheers
GuyCLO~
-------------------------------------
#219055 http://counter.li.org
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/guy.clotilde/
Change your Linux PC in a powerful RythmStation,
with holborn's GMORGAN:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/guy.clotilde/GMORGAN/
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice,
there is. -- Yogi Berra