Re: [long] sound-server history Re: [linux-audio-user] What's arts?

Subject: Re: [long] sound-server history Re: [linux-audio-user] What's arts?
From: Rick Taylor (ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 15:56:48 EEST

Robert Jonsson <robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se> wrote:
> Sunday 07 September 2003 12:04 skrev Rick Taylor:
> > G Cote <garyb_AT_cotecorner.com> wrote:

> > > Apparently, I'm running arts. Great. One more thing
> > > I don't really understand.
> > >
> > > Now, I've been to arts-project.org and see that
> > > it's the Analog Realtime Synth, blah blah blah.
> >
> > ^ It's a synth.
> >
> > ...Like buzz or AudoMulch. You set up different modules that make noises
> > ...then you pipe those through other modules that screw them up and then
> > you make music with the whole mess.
> >
> > > Questions: do I need it to capture audio from
> > > the sound card? Should I be trying to trouble-
> > > shoot it? Or is it getting in the way of things?
> > >
> > :} You might make music with it.
>
> Though this is accurate, it's only half the story about aRts.

> Other sound-servers where born, KDE started out with a sound-server that was
> even worse than ESounD, at some point they decided to use something else.
> They settled for ARTS, yes... the software synth... reasons being unknown to
> me, but ARTS is quite advanced, and developed in C++, it fit the KDE

 I'd used it to that point... It was one of the first {maybe the first
 modular synths} Actually, I never could get it to work right. I did manage
 a few *really* nasty crashes with it... It was one of the reasons I
 started messing with Audiomulch a while back... I like the whole idea.
 It makes things very simple. :} Never could get Brahms to compile either
 {I still can't get it to compile for that matter {But I am still trying.}}
 I did get Cecilia to make some lovely noises and had a nice time playing
 mp3s in XMMS.

 Strangely enough, I haven't been able to get the newer versions of
 Cecilia to do much... It's a great program but I'm really more interested
 in common music and scheme. Snd didn't seem to be such a great program back
 then... I really didn't like it as a matter of fact. It's come a long way
 since then. {I wonder if Cecilia could be modified to work with lisp?}

 http://www.arts-project.org/doc/handbook/introduction.html#what-is-arts

> At some point along the way, during the sound-server development, ALSA was
> developed as a new sound-card architecture. ALSA, now the sound-driver
> formostly being used in Kernel2.6 will soon be what most distros use, as
> DRIVER.

> Ok... that is definately enough for now...

 What if you were to use it as a synth and make music with it? It does
 seem to be much more developed than a lot of linux sound software. {It's
 grown a hell of a lot too.}

 Maybe it could be made Jack compatible? {Seeing as Jack's gotten so popular
 these days.}