[linux-audio-user] Re: RME hammerfall DSP Multiface: help needed

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: RME hammerfall DSP Multiface: help needed
From: Robert Epprecht (epprecht_AT_solnet.ch)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 02:04:31 EEST

"Mark Knecht" <mknecht_AT_controlnet.com> writes:

> OK, by default, with firmware loaded and no Alsa applications (hdspmixer,
> amixer commands or anything else) doing anything, then my HDSP mixer does
> the following routing: (I think!)
>
> In1 + Playback1 == Out1
> In2 + Playback2 == Out2
> In 26 + Playback26 == Out26
>
> So, I think you have fewer I/Os on this card, but I would be surprised if
> RME did something very different on your MultiFace.

From what I have read it is similar (I think the inputs are routed also
to the corresponding stereo channel of the Line Out). But I think the
channels would all be muted before running something like hdspmixer or
amixer.

> Maybe you should do what I did when Thomas and I couldn't get outputs
> working. Instead of sending audio data out, concentrate on the inputs
> instead. Send signals in, check what hdspmixer is displaying, and see if you
> can record it to a wave file using something like Audacity or ReZound. You
> may find that with your firmware things are off by 2 or 8 channels. Thomas
> and I had this problem with the older HDSP 9652 driver. I switched to
> debugging the inputs, and when we found the problems that led pretty quickly
> to getting the outputs working.
>
> Also, one input signal can get monitored very well in hdspmixer, but one
> output signal requires you to check all outputs which is harder for you to
> do.

Very mysteriously the inputs *do* work now (only tested analog so far).
I do not think I have changed anything and do not understand why they
started working... I can't say yet, if they do work always now, or
only under certain conditions...

OK, I have to read manuals of Audacity or ReZound or something...
I hope I'll find something which is simple enough to set up for a
quick first test. It can be quite confusing in such a situation,
you can never be sure if you made a mistake or if the hw is not
working...

>> I am a bit resistant to downgrade the firmware.
>> I'd like to hear from somebody who really knows what's the situation
>> with firmware, maybe Thomas?
>
> Yes, I understand. There are other MultiFace users here. Maybe they can tell
> you want firmware revisions they are running.

Please do.

Robert