Re: [linux-audio-user] Generating drones, take 2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Generating drones, take 2
From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas (plcl_AT_telefonica.net)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 23:01:53 EEST

> According to the responses to my previous post. There does not seem to be
> a way in linux to send MIDI command from my shell to a MIDI output
> interface.

You can generate a note-on event from bash, with something like this:
echo -n $'\x90\x45\x70' > /dev/midi01

The above command plays the A note on "/dev/midi01"
x90 is the MIDI note-on status byte
x45 = decimal 69 = A (440 Hz).
x70 is the note velocity

If you want to stop the sound, use:
echo -n $'\x80\x45\x70' > /dev/midi01
where x80 is the note-off status byte.

> For reference I want to be able to generate drone tones on my MIDI. I am
> looking for a simple application (MIDI shell??) that would let me turn a
> particular note on. I already have a sound card with the wavetable, this
> sound card understands midi. Alsa is supposed to have a good midi api, so
> how so I insert a midi event into my souncards midi output interface!!
> FT

You need to discover which /dev/midiXX is your soundcard wavetable synth.
If you prefer to use ALSA rawmidi devices, replace /dev/midiXX with
/dev/snd/midiCxDy, where "x" is the card number and "y" is a device number
belonging to this card.

Regards,
Pedro

--