RE: [linux-audio-user] Loops

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Loops
From: Jesse Chappell (jesse_AT_essej.net)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 00:01:56 EEST

> > How do you audition a guitar solo, for instance? You'd want to listen
> > to it a few times without having to press stop/rewind/play every time?

> Ah, the beauty of the English language, 'eh? 'Loops' (a noun) vs. 'looping'.
> (a verb) ;-) Now I understand your request. Since I am not an Ardour user I
> cannot say anything about the actual method used to do this in it's GUI. I
> seem to remember a symbol for this in it's transport, but I don't know....

Currently, this *can* be done in ardour, but the steps needed
are less than intuitive.

1. make a range selection
2. right-click to popup menu, choose "Select->New Location from selection"
   (note, *not* Selection->LoopSelection !!)
3. open the Locations window from the Windows menu
4. check the Loop column for the location you just made
5. Select the loop button (icon) in the transport bar
6. Position the playhead somewhere in or before the loop area
   and press play.

When you change the checked loop location you may have to reselect
the loop transport button (bug). Also, when you delete a location
(by shift-right-clicking on the marker bar), it won't delete it
from the location window (bug).

I will do my best to make this a much more streamlined process
in future versions of ardour.

jlc