Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK splat

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK splat
From: Rick Taylor (ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 09:53:55 EEST

"Mark Knecht" <mknecht_AT_controlnet.com> wrote:

> In my work I never resample anything, or at least not until the final
> master for the physical media is created. I always work at 44.1K, make sure
> any samples and tracks others give me are at 44.1K, and make my personal
> masters at 44.1KHz for auditioning where ever I need to. Only if I need a
> 48K for some reason do I do it then.

 I use 24/96 for audio editing... lets me crank volumes, settings, etc
 without major feedback, clipping and so on... not to mention that the
 sound's a hell of a lot richer.

 If something works out well I'll save it in several different bit depths
 24/96 for a reference file and 16/48 and 24/48 for sequencing. DVDs are
 48. {Stock} I'd like to sequence at higher bitrates but I tend to wonder
 how many folks home stereo can do anything worthwhile with 24/96.

 ...Surround, on the other hand bears exploration. Everyone's got it...
 not a lot of folk author for it. {as far as bands go anyway... spacialization,
 putting the rumble on both sides of the listener, having that floaty/sparkly
 noise swim in front of their face and throwing spears of reverberating high
 frequency stuff at them from the center channel, etc...}