[linux-audio-user] Weird glitchy noise in Mozilla

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Weird glitchy noise in Mozilla
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 21:52:25 EEST

Hi,
   I run across this problem a lot in Linux. Maybe someone can help me
make my Gentoo system do audio better. All the straight Alsa stuff works
well. However, when I'm browsing around I come to web sites that
probably want to play some audio, but this is Linux and Alsa, so things
don't work easily. At the web site

http://www.skale.org

I start getting this repeating glitch noise every 8 seconds or so. It
hasn't happened every time I've visited the site today, but it's
happened a lot of times.

   In hdspmixer I see this glitch on all 26 playback channels, by the
way, so I'm assuming that this means it's some sort of OSS problem, but
I'm not sure.

   What's wrong with my setup of Alsa, which in most other ways works
just fine, and why can I also not get mp3 (well, really xmms) to work
under Linux?

   BTW - much non-Alsa audio from Games works fine, but also drives all
26 playback channels. Should it really work this way?

Thanks,
Mark