Re: [linux-audio-user] Loops

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Loops
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 02:19:42 EEST

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 12:25, Steve Harris wrote:
> What NVidia do is they have a core binary dirver (cross platform)
> and the linux interface part of it is "open source", for some value of
> open. This works well, and though I'd rather have propper Free Software
> drivers the NVIDIA drivers have been very relaible on the whole, the
> installation easy and the support from the developers has been good too.

Yes, this was the sort of strategy I was thinking of. However, now we
have to figure out why DigiDesign would go to the trouble. Obviously
every machine needs a graphics adapter, so NVidea isn't going to give
away the whole Linux market to ATI. Obviously (I guess) they think they
have somethign to protect from ATI since ATI does (I think) release
source, correct?

In the case of Pro Tools, the question is 'How many customers does
DigiDesign lose to someone else because they don't have a Linux
solution'? I think today that the numbers are very small, but arguably
growing. When will it make a financial difference to DigiDesign's
financial bottom line to support us?

> > Oh, I agree. Pro Tools on Linux would be a great app on a great
> > platform. DigiDesign would benefit greatly, if they could manage the
> > security of their source, and if their plug-in manufacturer's would play
> > ball. Unfortunately, the 001/002/RTAS plugin support has been bad,
> > except for Waves. The advantage for Pro Tools in Linux would come if
> > they would embrace LADSPA.
>
> Hmm... the TDM DSP chips are as much a part of the hardware platform as
> the i/o hardware. IIUC it gives the devleopers copy protection and digi
> plugins that cant be used without thier hardware.

True, but they still have copy protection to even stop them from
required for the smaller 001/002 environments which compete with
Cubase/Nuendo/Sonar, etc. I was thinking all of your work is more in
that host based processing space.