Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: HDSP Firmware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: HDSP Firmware
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 06:27:45 EEST

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 18:22, Aaron Trumm wrote:

> there seem to be a few of us working on very similar setups all at once :)

Ah, please excuse my other email!

> I saved this ebuild just in case, as well as the patch in that email strain.
> But I haven't the foggiest what they are for. In fact I don't even know what
> to ask :)
>
> The status of my setup right now is, I'm going through the planet ccrma steps,
> and have done them all. all seems well, except for no sound test was heard
> upon exiting alsaconf (this didn't worry me), and aplay didn't play back
> anything. so I tried some other apps, including hydrogen, and ardour.
> things that were playing back before I switched soundcards and some other
> hardware and did a full reinstall of red hat 9. those apps run along
> happily, but no output anywhere. I'm using a hdsp 9652, no multiface. I'm
> running the optical outputs to a Behringer DDX3216 digital mix console. I
> know the optical ins work there, because I did some mixing using that and a
> darwin (with ADAT light pipe card)...

In this case you do want the patch, as far as my experience goes. Make
sure you are on firmware revision 65. You'll have to figure out how to
get it applied to the Alsa source code tree that Fernando supplies
though. That's beyond me.

You'll also want the hdspmixer rev 1.3 that Thomas was speaking of.

> for a newbie like me, is there some sort of step by step somewhere that I
> should go through first? (I plan documenting my steps just in case there's
> not). It seems that with this card, there are steps missing from the planet
> ccrma instructions - is this right?

I think that this card will not, unfortunately, work with the current
Planet CCRMA Alsa rpm. It doesn't have anything to do with the
instructions. It's just that Alsa doesn't have all the stuff you need
yet.

I'm sure that's disappointing. All I can offer is that I waited 5 months
to get it working, and switched this box to Gentoo to make building from
source more accessible for me. The Planet flow doesn't really work that
way, unless you can build your own RPMs, or unless Kevin's RPM will work
for you and not upset Fernando's flow.

I'm sure Fernando will get you something pretty soon.

> ps:
> there is a drivers CD included with the card - it has a linux directory, but
> they appear to be OSS drivers - I was planning to avoid them, since my whole
> goal is an ardour system, and that will have to use alsa. am I right to do
> this?

Yes, avoid them. Stick with firmware rev 65, Alsa 0.9.6 + patch &
hdspmixer rev 1.3 or higher.

You can skip hdspmixer if you're up for running a few aconnect commands.
That will work too.