Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie: Realtime kernel and THAC's rpms

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie: Realtime kernel and THAC's rpms
From: Mathias Lundgren (mathias.lundgren_AT_bredband.net)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 14:13:03 EEST

lördagen den 27 september 2003 12.47 skrev Ketil Thorgersen:
> Hi experts and geniuses.
>
> Please be gentle with a newbie who has been using mandrake linux for a
> couple of years, but has staid clear of recompiling kernels etc, and just
> been a happy user.

......SNIP
> =ep cap_setpcap-ep
> probably running under a kernel with capabilities disabled,
> a suitable kernel would have printed something like "=eip"
>
> I did a search on the google, and found out that someone had asked the same
> thing on this list, but the answer was: "look in the faq" - which I then
> did. And the faq say "recompile". I thought the idea of rpms was that I
> didn't have to recompile - but I'm probably wrong. I just want to make
> sure before i jump onto something which I'd rather not do - because it
> scares me... (I'm a teacher and hobby sound engineer, not a linux wizard,
> but I'd like to learn) So do I have to recompile?

You shouldn't have to do that. I'm running Mandrake 9.1 and Thac's
multimedia-kernel and haven't needed to recompile the kernel, just installed
the rpm and everything has been working since.

Are you sure you are actually using the correct kernel? You should get a few
other boot-entrys in lilo to choose between when booting. To boot with the
multimedia-kernel I choose an entry called 2421-016mm in my setup, (I'm not
sure whether Thac has put up a new kernel since I threw in mine, so it might
be something different, but should probably be similar).

Oh, btw, I need to run jack as root. But that's with realtime-capabilities.
The line you're starting jack with works fine on my system, so I should start
to make sure I was running the correct kernel. Hope anything of this might be
of help.

/Mathias