Re: [linux-audio-user] Filesystem: Ardour / SWD / Laptop

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Filesystem: Ardour / SWD / Laptop
From: Austin (aacton_AT_yorku.ca)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 21:49:07 EEST

On 09/28/2003 11:39:27 AM, glimt wrote:
> I am trying to setup my new laptop to be a very friendly environment for
> multimedia editing and software development. I have been googling for
> several hours now and am having trouble coming to a conclusive decision
> over which filesystem to run. I am leaning toward ReiserFS, but have
> looked at XFS pretty closely. I have read a little on
> ext3, but what I have found seems a little bit dated now. Any opinions
> you guys might have would be very welcome.

Honestly, how could the reliability of ANY filesystem depend on whether you're
using a laptop or not? I hightly doubt if your file system knows whether it's
in a desktop or a laptop in any way other than frequent power cycles.

I have used all three, and I agree that EXT3 is not ideal for multimedia.

Currently I use:
tmpfs for /tmp
xfs for any directories containing audio or video (usually /home)
reiserfs for all else (/usr, /var, etc.)

I have had a reiser partition get screwed up, but only once, and it was
fixable. I'm very impressed with xfs so far, but be aware that it's the
latest version.

The /tmp setting makes much more of a difference than anything else though...

Austin

--
                                 Austin Acton
        Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant, Ph.D. Candidate