Re: [linux-audio-user] 2 questions about alsa and ardour

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] 2 questions about alsa and ardour
From: Pete Bessman (ninjadroid_AT_ml1.net)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 04:32:55 EEST

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:52:21 -0500, "Aaron Trumm" <aaron_AT_nquit.com> said:
> Does anybody know - does Ardour support assigning tracks to outputs other
> than
> just 1 and 2 - is this an Alsa issue?

You can output any track to any available outputs. If your
soundcard has 24 outputs when properly configured ("properly"
being the operative word in that statement), then your
goal is achievable. Walk with me:

1) In ardour, click on "Session->Add Audio Track(s)->mono".

2) Click on "Windows->Mixer".

3) A window will popup with your track in it. Click
the "Output" button at the very bottom and select "Edit".

4) By defualt, the track will be outputting to "alsa_pcm:playback_1".
To add an output, click on the "out 1" heading for the list box and
select an output from the "alsa_pcm" tab under "available connections".
To remove an output, click on it.

The procedure for changing recording inputs is similar, just click
on the "Input" button in the mixer view instead of "Output".

> 2)
> when I start Jack (right now anyway), I've been using:
> jackd -R -d alsa -p 2048

you should try:

jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0 -r rate -p period

Where 'rate' and 'period' are your soundcards
native rates.

Peace,
=Pete

--
You can only run configure at the top level of the Ardour source tree.
You don't want to know why this is true.  Don't try to work around it.