Re: [linux-audio-user] HDSP/MF segmentation fault problems

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] HDSP/MF segmentation fault problems
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 20:23:42 EEST

> Okay, I'm trying to be a little more fastidious about finding what's wrong. My HDSP/MF soundcard freezes with several applications, including play, mpg321, and when I play a soundfile in audacity. It always happens at the end of the soundfile, or if I command-C or push the stop button (in audacity) while the soundfile is playing. It says there's a segmentation fault, and then I can't get my card to respond to any app at all (they all say the device is busy or nonexistent). ps aux doesn't show anything at all. When I try /sbin/service alsasound restart, I get this:
> /sbin/service alsasound restart
>
> Shutting down sound driversnd-pcm-oss: Device or resource busy
> snd-mixer-oss: Device or resource busy
> snd-hdsp: Device or resource busy
> snd-pcm: Device or resource busy
> snd-timer: Device or resource busy
> snd-rawmidi: Device or resource busy
> snd-seq-device: Device or resource busy
> snd-hwdep: Device or resource busy
> snd: Device or resource busy
> [ OK ]
> ALSA driver already running
> Sound driver snd-hdsp is already loaded

Look into /var/log/meessages, you will probably find an "Ooops" there
(that's a crash inside the kernel, it can bring the whole machine down
or - looks like your case - it affects only a driver or sets of
drivers). Once you get into that state only a reboot can cure it.

If you find an Oops you should feed all the relevant lines into
"ksymoops" and post the result to alsa-devel...

-- Fernando