Re: [linux-audio-user] jaming over the internet?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] jaming over the internet?
From: Juhan Leemet (juhan_AT_logicognosis.com)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 21:52:50 EEST

jlc wrote:
>Erik de Castro Lopo wrote on Wed, 01-Oct-2003:
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:56:27 +0000 (GMT)
>> glimt <glimt_AT_littlebrother.org> wrote:
>>
>>> If people do this, it would be very cool to just have the remote peers
>>> function as inputs into jack.
>>
>> As cool as that sounds, there is something really weird about having
>> something with as much latency as the internet connected to something
>> as low-latency and sample accurate as JACK.
>
>Just think of it as a delay line :)

I think the biggest problem is that it is a (randomly?) _variable_ delay line.
Some early voice-over-internet work was done more than 20 years ago, and it
was deemed "not ready for prime time" mostly because of lack of "guarantee of
service/quality" (i.e. variable latency, and occasional dropout). The
underlying technology has not changed (that) much (if at all?). TCP/IP was
defined in RFCs when? 20 or 30 years ago? Some refinements, granted.

>Sooner or later, one of us will get around to implementing it....

That would be interesting. In general, viz. computers, I believe in the "*nix
credo" which goes something like "many ways to skin a cat". Choose your
favorite, or the one that best fits the situation. The more tools the better.

--
Juhan Leemet
Logicognosis, Inc.